When should I inspect my roof for damage?
Experts recommend that you assess the condition of your roof at least twice a year, but astute property owners will check their roof for damage after any significant storm that includes heavy rain or wind. While hurricanes get plenty of press, they are not the only type of Florida storm that can damage the roof of your home. Florida gets plenty of storms with high winds, lightning, and hail, which can all cause roof damage. It is smart to visually check your roof after any severe storm that contains one or more of these elements.
How should I inspect my roof for damage?
Please do not climb onto your roof to inspect it. Instead, stand on the ground and examine your roof from there for potential signs of trouble. If you’d like a closer look, use binoculars or a digital camera with a good zoom lens. It can also be helpful to review the interior of your home for any signs of water intrusion.
What are common signs of roof damage?
Signs that indicate roof damage can be found on the roof, on the ground and from the ceiling inside your house.
On the roof, evidence of possible trouble include:
- Missing shingles that expose the underlayment or an old roof
- Curled shingles that leave your roof vulnerable to wind-driven rain
- Pockmarks or dents causes by hail
- Damage to guttering or roof vents
On the ground, signs of possible trouble include:
- Broken shingles in your yard
- Pieces of flashing, siding or other construction materials in your yard
- Large fallen branches that might have hit your roof
- Damage to your vehicles, yard or outdoor furnishing
- Damage to a neighbor’s roof
Inside your home, signs of possible trouble include:
- Visible sunlight appearing through the roof in the attic
- Leaks in the attic
- Water marks on ceilings or walls
What should I do if I suspect the storm caused roof damage?
If you suspect that you have roof damage, contact a trusted roofing company for a free roof inspection. Be sure to document any evidence of the damage so that you can file an insurance claim.
How do I find a reputable roofer?
When seeking a roofing professional, your best bet is an established roofing contractor with a reputation for quality. After all, roofs are intended to last for a long time, so you want a contractor who will provide excellent work and stand behind it. When selecting a roofing contractor, plan on:
- Asking lots of questions
- Requesting references
- Verifying business information
- Expecting a written contract
- Remembering that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is
Here is an additional checklist for hiring a roofing company.
If I suspect that my roof has suffered storm damage, what can Mid Florida Roofing do?
Whether you’re dealing with a minor issue or major damage, Mid Florida Roofing is ready to come to your aid. A full-service roofing contractor offering both residential and commercial roofing services, we provide:
- 10-point roof inspections
- Emergency roof repairs
- Insurance inspections
- Roof repairs and reroofing services
- New roof installation
Contact Mid Florida Roofing online or call 407-830-8554 today to learn more about our services and request your free estimate.